Advertisements

Peter Reynolds

The life and times of Peter Reynolds

I Have Joined The Labour Party. #AndImATory

with 14 comments

For some months now I have called myself a ‘Corbynista’.  I am proud to back a man who demonstrates more integrity, courage, decency amd honour than almost every other Member of Parliament put together.  Today, in the face of the ever-escalating smear campaign, the completely ludicrous and false allegations of antisemitism, the vile abuse of the BBC and the despicable right wing press, I have signed up to become a member of the Labour Party.

I remain a Tory because I believe in fundamental principles of individual liberty, individual responsibility, small goverment and free markets.  I am not and never will be a socialist.  I do not believe it is is right that the state should own the means of production and supply because this inevitably leads to complacency and inefficiency.  Competition is a healthy motivation and inline with human nature.  Socialism, in my view, is a delusion. It has never worked, anywhere in the world and it never will.  However, I do consider that there are certain industries that are best owned by the state, those that are natural monopolies such as energy, water, the railways, the road system, the basic health service and basic communications and internet infrastructure. So I would support re-nationalisation of these industries.

I am unlikely to remain a member of the Labour Party forever.  My reason for joining in the short term is to support Corbyn as the only decent leader in our country and because the overriding priority now is to bring down this corrupt, self-serving Conservative government.  The Conservative Party is unfit for government. It has trashed the huge opportunity that Brexit offered by appalling, irresponsible infighting.  It would be best if it simply disintegrated. It has brought shame on our nation and many, perhaps most, of its MPs simply disgust me with their venal and selfish behaviour.  Mind you, I feel the same way about the treacherous, Blairite Labour MPs who have repeatedly stabbed Corbyn in the back.  Chuka Ummuna, Chris Bryant, Margaret Hodge, Luciana Berger, Yvette Cooper, Harriet Harman and others – I put them in the same category as most Tory MPs – worthless.

It’s true, in the past five years I have belonged to the Liberal Democrat, Conservative and now Labour parties.  I very much hope for the establishment of a new, centre-right, liberal and progressive party and I would join it in a flash.  Some may find this difficult to understand but I am not a tribalist.  I think tribalism is probably the most destructive force in politics. What drives me is principles first and policies second.  Once we have got rid of the Conservatives, I shall become concerned with policies again and those will be in line with my fundamental Tory principles.  I remain a true Tory, not the corrupt, self-serving, authoritarian example set by the diabolical Mrs May.

For now I am a member of the Labour Party and I will do all I can to see Jeremy Corbyn become our next prime minister.

Advertisements

Written by Peter Reynolds

August 15, 2018 at 5:47 pm

14 Responses

1. I completely agree with you – I am still a Tory member who has often thought recently we need rot get rid of the incompetent lot in government. A time in opposition and take the opportunity to recharge with competent MPs who focus on our country and not their own political careers is what is needed.

And perhaps a period of opposition could bring in the renationalisations I support you in calling for

Phillip

August 15, 2018 at 6:59 pm

2. You see Corbyn as a politician with integrity? In which universe? Corbyn supported the IRA. He’s a supporter of hamas and hezbolla. His shadow chancellor is a fully paid up Marxist. But #youreatory. I receive your newsletters and follow your blog and most of the time you speak sense. But I suppose everyone has to have their condor moments.

626dsmith

August 15, 2018 at 8:06 pm

• So you believe the half truths, words taken out of context and out right lies, firstly he doesn’t support the ira and never did, that was always a smear because he held talks to bring peace exactly at the same time the tory party were holding secret talks them selves! He held talk with hama and hezbolla for peace again using inclusive language saying “our friends!” Not my friends! Corbyn doesn’t support their policies! So ether you just hate him or you don’t know who to research facts! So this must be your condor moment!

Stephen Brophy

August 16, 2018 at 9:37 am

• Allegations that he “supported” the IRA, Hamas and Hezbollah are completely false, there is no evdence for that at all. He has talked and engaged with them which, ultimately, is the only path to peace. Any suggestion that he endorses their violence is absurd and if you consider yourself a serious commenter or observer of politics, then it’s way, way beneath you.

Peter Reynolds

August 16, 2018 at 9:43 am

3. His policy is exactly what you just outlined! Health rail and water/gas/ect should be nationalist while free trade in the private sector continues as before, look after the sick/poor is the way a honourable society works! It’s not communism! He not far left at all! This is why he’s got my vote!

Stephen Brophy

August 16, 2018 at 9:46 am

4. However, I do consider that there are certain industries that are best owned by the state, those that are natural monopolies such as energy, water, the railways, the road system, the basic health service and basic communications and internet infrastructure. So I wouold support re-nationalisation of these industries.

That sir IS democratic Socialism. Welcome to the team.

psonger

August 16, 2018 at 11:03 am

• I don’t think so. Socialism is about all means of production, supply, distribution being owned and run by the state. The great deception in socialism is that the state is synonymous with the people which, of course, it isn’t. The state is the ruling elite who in fact are practising capitalism and exploiting the people.

Peter Reynolds

August 16, 2018 at 11:54 am

5. Welcome to the Party ! I too support JC to the point that if the rest of the Parliamentary Party choose to oust him by whatever means, including supporting the Tory shambles, then I shall leave the Labour Party and they will have no party to support them, because I feel I am not alone in this choice.

Maggie Gee

August 16, 2018 at 11:51 am

6. I am a true Socialist. But I mostly just think that the natural monopolies require state oversight and that markets require regulation. The rest is all a matter of negotiation. Perhaps true Tories and true Socialists have more in common than we thought; we both, at base, want what’s best for our country.

John Wallcraft

August 17, 2018 at 7:56 am

7. That the natural monopolies should be state administered is about all I can muster in terms of economic ideology and I consider myself a true socialist. Well and that financial markets require regulation of some sort. The rest is something we need to discuss on a case by case basis. It’s notable that what you define as a true Tory and what I would define as a democratic socialist can agree without great effort on some core principles. Perhaps it’s because they are not, at base, ideological issues at all. They’re common sense.

arrghright

August 17, 2018 at 8:02 am

8. The aim of socialism is to bring about equality of opportunity for everyone, so that each individual can achieve their fullest potential. Sometimes, that involves economics, but not exclusively. The State can help to provide the means but so can the private sector. Socialism is a philosophy not an economic theory. Your post clearly is in line with this, you sir, are a socialist.

Alan Tattersall

August 17, 2018 at 8:09 am

• Oh dear! Socialism is also associated with many totalitarian regimes where you are told who and what you are and what you must think!

Peter Reynolds

August 17, 2018 at 8:44 am

9. A fascinating read, Peter. Thank you for sharing.

davidahlewis

August 17, 2018 at 4:05 pm

10. Reblogged this on Britain Isn't Eating.

A6er